Monday, March 19, 2012

Eats - A New Try at an Old Dish

It might be cliche to want corned beef and cabbage for St Patricks Day, but to be honest I could eat this for every meal. I've never made it before myself though, and since I wasn't going anywhere and nobody I know was making it I had to tighten my apron strings and get busy in the kitchen.



To be honest, it turns out that it was not that intimidating to make. I only had 5 ingredients - Cabbage, Carrots, Red Potatoes, a 3 - 4 lb. corned beef brisket, and a bottle of lager beer.


The one thing that you do need a lot of, is time. Once this really got cooking, it was hard for me to not try pulling it out of the oven early and digging in.


I used 1 small head of cabbage, cut in 8 wedges ( I obviously didn't use all of it - I'll save the rest for coleslaw). 6-7 red potatoes, and 6 or 7 chopped carrots.


Put the brisket in a roasting dish, cover with spices and about an inch of water in the pan, then add the vegetables and give it all a beer shower.


Preheat the oven to 350 (as shown in the photo), cover the dish in tin foil and pop it in for about 3 1/2 hours (see, I told you - you need to be patient. This is not a last minute supper).


Check the temperature of your meat and pull it out of the oven just a little early - the heat will finish the cooking without over-doing the meat. Let it rest and then slice the corned beef across the grain. Best served with more beer and lots of friends to share it with. I don't blame you for wanting to eat it all yourself, though.


You're welcome

-B--

No comments:

Post a Comment