Thursday, February 9, 2012

DIY - Personalized Candleholder

This is another super simple DIY idea to help ad a personal touch to your living space. I dont know about you, but I almost always have a candle burning while I'm home. I'm not picky about size, shape, color or fragrance (well, as long as its not cinnamon or peaches, but thats a story for another day) though I do prefer jar candles or candles in holders because little fingers do not go well with a more open flame. Even though I keep the candles up out of toddler reach, it's always better to be safe than sorry.


Saturday morning after I got out of my fitness class I had to run to the dollar store for a few little things but I inevitably end up wandering all the aisles. I bought a plain glass holder with the intent to add a personal touch for a hostess gift.




Oh, p.s. - I completed this project in about 15 minutes, before we left sunday to visit a friends house to watch That Game, and where I intended to take this gift.


All I used besides the glass were items I had around the house, but are easily found at the craft store - 1 sheet of scrapbook paper, a metal edge ruler, E6000, double sided tape, ribbon, and a charm.




I chose the damask paper to coordinate with my friends living room decor. Next I measured the height of the glass and made a strip of the paper - I didn't cut it, simply marked both sides on each edge and use the metal ruler to cut it. I wasn't worried about uneven edges since the ruler actually keeps it faily neat.




Then wrap the paper around the jar and secure with double sided tape




I added a piece of ribbon, secured in the back with double sided tape, then added an initial charm to what used to be an old lace choker and layered it over the wider ribbon. I secured it in the back with glue and hid the seams with another short piece of the black grosgrain.




All thats left was to put a few tea lights in a little organza bag and my hostess gift was set! She loved it, too.




I plan on making more of these for Mothers Day gifts, and a few to keep around the house. If you dont attach the paper to the glass you can even make them interchangeable and swap out paper designs for the seasons or just as your mood desires. Happy crafting!


-B-

No comments:

Post a Comment