Thursday, February 16, 2012

Eats - Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa

This year my BF and I have been increasing the number of fish dishes we (ok, I) prepare for dinner. It actually started before New Years Eve. I got a bee in my bonnet to make something new so I made this recipe with a few modifications and with tilapia instead of cod because cod is outrageously expensive for my wallet. I made that a few times since, and then this recipe (with just the fish part) but you can only have something so many times before it gets "old" and I like variety in my menu.


I dont think most people consider fish as a no brainer taco filling, but I've had them before and liked them so I went hunting for a recipe and found one that seemed promising. I say promising because I almost never have all the listed ingredients in a recipe, but I make substitutions and modifications to accomodate our tastes and cupboard. For instance in this recipe for the salsa I dont exactly know what jicama is and I hate cilantro so I omitted that. Actually there's enough different I should just say the salsa is my own "recipe"


Beck's Stoplight Salsa
I call this stoplight salsa because its red yellow and green:





  • 1 C Frozen or fresh corn
  • 1/2 - 1 C Diced green pepper
  • 1/2 C Diced red onion
  • 1/2 - 1 TB Kosher salt
  • 1/2 - 1 TB Pepper
  • 1 TB Garlic powder
  • Lemon juice ( I use the bottled kind and add a capful)


I dont actually measure the spices so those are approximates. Combine everything in a bowl. I dont bother thawing the corn because once its mixed I let it sit for 5-10 minutes and let everything get happy together, but you can pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so.


Season your fish if you desire - I use a new spice blend that I made for one of the other recipes because it called for Old Bay but I didn't have it so I googled for substitutes and one suggestion was using Emerils Essence. I didn't have that either but I followed a recipe I found for making a home-made version and its now my House Spice that I use on everything from fish, chicken, steak or even scrambled eggs.


I grilled my fish using our little George Foreman grill for about 5 minutes, then put the fish and salsa on some warmed tortillas and topped with some hot sauce and plain Chobani instead of sour cream.




2 fish fillets was enough for 2 tacos per person. Its pretty filling and it was so good the BF even requested it a second night that week, which doesn't often happen.


Enjoy

-B-

No comments:

Post a Comment