Friday, February 3, 2012

Eats - Banana Tea Bread

I thought for the inaugural food post I would share one of my all time favorite sweet treats with you.


Recently I was finally able to make it - not because I haven't been baking, but from the fact that I live with two small children who eat so many bananas I sometimes wonder why they dont have tails growing out of their backsides.


This is a quick bread which means there is no yeast and it uses very simple ingredients that you just have to mix and bake.. The recipe I have actually belonged to my great-grandmother, and I can remember going to visit her almost every weekend when I was little and she would always, always have a fresh batch made and waiting on the counter for us to slather with butter and eat with our milk.


Banana Tea Bread actually doesn't have tea in the ingredients - the name refers more to time/occasion to make it for (like Tea Cakes - for afternoon tea). The best kind of bananas to use for this recipe are the overripe, dark skinned ones that most people are turned off by and usually throw out, claiming they're "bad". They make the bread super moist and extra-flavorful.


Recipe: (makes one loaf)
Begin by pre-heating your oven to 350


2/3 Cup Sugar (white or brown)
1/3 Cup Shortening (I substitute applesauce with good success, and it makes it a little "healthier" too)
1 Cup Mashed Ripe Bananas (about 2 medium sized ones)
2 Eggs
1 3/4 Cups Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt


Start by creaming together your sugar and shortening (or applesauce). Add the eggs and then blend in your bananas. Add the dry ingredients one by one, then pour it into a loaf pan that's been prepped with cooking spray and dusted with flour.


Its also an easy bread to make additions to. Some people include nuts but I think they are, well - nuts ( I hate nuts in my baked goods). I usually add raisins or chocolate chips. This time I used raisins.


Bake in a loaf pan for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.




Enjoy


-B-

No comments:

Post a Comment