Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Eats - Spice Art

I was mixing up a new batch of our "House Spice" recently, and realized before I combined the different layers that it looked a lot like sand art.




I put this mix on just about everything - seasoning meat, in soups, or on scrambled eggs. It adds an enjoyable little punch of flavor to a dish. Here's the recipe I roughly followed - 


Spice Blend

  • 2 ½ Tbs. Paprika
  • 2 Tbs. salt
  • 2 Tbs. Garlic powder
  • 1 Tbs. Black pepper
  • 1 Tbs. Onion powder
  • 1 Tbs. Cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tbs. Dried Oregano
  • 1 Tbs. Dried Thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container. Makes about 2/3 cup.



I doubled the recipe and added a few "extras" in, and I keep it in a washed out pickle jar. I always save glass jars from sauces, pickles or minced garlic since they're easy to re-use for things like this.


If there are flavors you enjoy, try combining them in a blend like this, if you have spices in your pantry it will save you money over buying those expensive "gourmet" brands at the grocery store, and you can customize them to your taste buds! It'll make every dish a delight


Bon Appetit


-B-

No comments:

Post a Comment