Monday, February 6, 2012

Healthy Tips for 2012

Where I work we have an affiliation with a local fitness center that comes in once a month and puts on presentations for a "Health and Wellness" series. 


There is a quote they use that has really hit home with me and one that has helped other people too -


Image by Beck


They generally aim the program towards their "Loser" program (like the show) since quite a few of our employees (even the company President) have been successful with it in their weight loss journeys. I go because I like to live as healthy a life as I can, so I thought I'd share some of the tips they gave us at the last session with you.
  • Drink more water
    • Everything in your body needs water to function. Recommended intake is at least half your weight in ounces of water a day
    • I know I feel a lot better when I'm well hydrated, but it is definitely difficult to get into the habit of getting up and refilling my water bottle throughout the day
  • MOVE, outside of work for at least 30 minutes every day
    • This doesnt necessarily mean hitting the gym, it could be as simple as doing some household chores or yardwork. Even grocery shopping is moving! 
  • Eat less sugar (no more than 10g per meal)
    • Too much sugar causes insulin spikes (which messes with your energy levels) and possibly diabetes
  • Eat your fruits and veggies
    • I love fruits and vegetables, and generally have at least 3 different kinds every day. 
  • Stop eating regular potatoes
    • or at least eat less. White potatoes are high in starch, gets digested quickly and leads to insulin spikes and storage of fat.
  • Take a Multivitamin
    • This is another suggestion I'm trying to get better at myself but it's difficult because the one I got says to take with food, and I forget.
  • Always carry a healthy snack
    • Trail mix, a piece of fruit, something small that will "tide you over" if you're ever out and need a quick snack. It will help keep your energy levels up and help you resist "bad" snacks
  • Get your family in on the fun
    •  Your family is important, and so is their health. If you stay healthy together you will obviously have more time with them! You dont necessarily have to go pump iron in the gym together - If your family has a weekly dinner, suggest you all go out for a walk while it's in the oven, or afterwards to help digest your meal
  • Get a buddy
    • Besides your family, find a sponsor or partner who can work out with you and keep you accountable for the goals you set yourself. I remember when I was running last year I always looked forward to running with my friend than when I was running alone.
  • Join a fitness program, not a gym
    • This was geared towards the group in a weight loss capacity, but like most other things you are more likely to succeed at something if you have a support system. If you join a program geared towards your success it can help guide you in the proper direction.


-B-

No comments:

Post a Comment